Here are the spines of two proofs of my first finished novel. Spines on self-pubbed paperbacks (for some reason) always look crappy to me, but the one on top looks exceptionally so. What's odd is that of all the things I changed in the cover graphic between proofs, the spine was not one of them. Yet, for some reason, the later proof (the one on top) came out looking much worse than the previous proof (the one on the bottom).
I don't remember having this trouble with Lulu. Here's hoping CreateSpace.com makes it right for me or is willing to refund the $40 I spent on getting this book listen on Amazon. (Not a fortune, but hey, $40 is $40.)
UPDATE 20110901: Just got an email from CreateSpace and not only was it a problem on their end, but they're sending me a new proof! Awesome! Thanks, CreateSpace!! You made it right!! THANK YOU!